Amanda Daly

Amanda Daly
I've been passionately working with fabric for more than 25 years . . . relax with me as you read about my life and my quilts

Tuesday 25 May 2010

Typical behaviour


I quite often buy things on impulse, my husband is the same. We are not unhappy about this tendancy, but sometime a bit of planning would go a long way.

A while ago we were out shopping for a coffee table for the family room. We couldn't find one we liked, so on impulse we bought a very beautiful and very large octagonal table for our patio instead

It seemed like a good thing to do at the time. It fits beautifully into our patio and looks stunning. We love how it comfortably seats 8 and we can squeeze even more in if we need to, but it's really far too big for four and it's so wide we often have to rely heavily on the lazy susan my son in law built for us just to be able to share the nibblies. The seating plan is always an issue, as sitting four of us equally spaced around it (my husbands preference) makes us all feel too far apart and sitting on one side (my preference) does seem a bit unbalanced. If we had given it even a bit of thought we would probably have chosen something more versatile.
Of course it's not really a problem and it's easy to fix - just invite more people.

I bought an embellisher machine at the Quilt Show last June, it was about 4.30pm on the last day and I hadn't even looked at one before, let alone actually tried it out. I just walked past the stall and bought it. No pre-planning, no thought - just impulse.

It sat in it's box until last December, then it actually made it out of the box and onto the bench in my studio. I finally got around to plugging it in and trying it out a couple of weeks ago after spending a fortune on supplies while at AQC.

It's a bit like the patio table, maybe a bit more thought was needed. I'll try it again but I must say I'm not hooked yet - Must try some other raw materials and see if that makes a difference.

I like the spontaneous and impulsive side of me, it makes life more interesting and I need to come up with creative solutions more often.

No comments: